CALENDAR OF UPCOMING & PREVIOUS EVENTS
Emma Arakelyan is speaking as the panel moderator at this conference and she is also sponsoring the event.
Startups from any industry and from Armenia and from any other country are invited in person (registration will be required and more information to come later this week) or attending via live stream globally.
The conference titled “The Startup Revolution: What are your rights and how to protect them” is being organized by U.S. Armenian Bar Association and sponsored by Orion Worldwide Innovations, LLC.
This inaugural program will bring together leaders in the field of Intellectual Property Law from the United States, Canada, Armenia, Russia and Australia to share their knowledge and #expertise with the startup #ecosystems of #Armenia and beyond. The program will be submitted for #accreditation.
Topics to be covered during four dedicated panels: 1. Establishing and growing your startup #practice; 2. How to protect your #IntellectualProperty; 3. Challenges and opportunities facing #startups in Armenia; 4. How to #protect your #TradeSecrets and the #BestPractices in #IPLitigation.
The event will close with a reception with wine and #ArmenianBrandy tasting.
Columbia University, New York City
The StartUp Revolution: What Are Your Rights and How to Protect Them
8:30 A.M. – 9:30 A.M. – Registration and breakfast
9:30 A.M. – 9:45 a.m. – Opening Remarks – Souren A. Israelyan, Esq.
10:00 A.M. – 11:15 A.M.
Establishing and growing your startup practice
- Organizational formation, types of organizations (corporations, limited liability companies, partnerships, joints ventures), subsidiaries, cross-border entities
- Brand identification and protection
- Developing and protecting business trade secrets
- Non-disclosure, non-compete, non-circumvention agreements
- Special considerations for IT startups
- Special consideration for non-for-profit startups
- Typical agreements with customers/vendors/employees
- Online terms for websites, apps and social media pages
- Privacy policies
- Setting your data strategy and establishing data practices
- Aligning business partners
- Maintaining transparency
- The role of digital assets in today’s business environment
- Business and personal digital assets
- Steps to keep control
11:15 A.M. – 11:30 A.M. – Midmorning break
11:30 A.M. – 12:45 P.M.
how to protect your intellectual property
- What is and is not intellectual property
- How to protect intellectual property
- Open source options
- Customs and practices of engagement with startups
- International protection of intellectual property
- In-house counsel perspectives
12:45 P.M. – 2:00 P.M. – Lunch break
2:00 P.M. – 3:15 P.M.
challenges and opportunities facing startups in armenia
Moderator: Emma Arakelyan
- Commercialization of intellectual property
- Raising capital for startups
- Initial public offerings, initial coin offerings, crowdfunding, etc.
- Ecosystem of IT startups in Armenia
- Marketing and entry into market
- Global reach of Armenian startups
- Mergers and acquisitions involving startups
- Success stories
- Emerging opportunities
- Challenges ahead
- New frontiers
3:15 P.M. – 3:30 P.M. – Midafternoon break
3:30 P.M. – 4:45 P.M.
How to protect your trade secrets
and the Best practices in IP litigation
Why startups need to know
- Protection of trade secrets in global cyber world
- Defense of Trade Secrets Act, what you need to know
- Trade secret misappropriation
- Current environment of threats and proactive cybersecurity management
- Cybersecurity regulation and enforcement
- Breach of cybersecurity and crisis management
- Legal obligations arising from attacks
- E-Discovery hosting and review tools
- Recent Supreme Court decisions affecting IP practice
- Evolving legal standards and practices
- Best practices in IP litigation
4:45 P.M. – Closing Remarks
Armenian Wine and Armenian Brandy tasting
Emma Arakelyan will be the keynote speaker at the EY sponsored event “Innovation And You” in Washington DC. The event will also have panel discussions and interactive workshop to cover the following questions:
– Does technology and innovation increase gender parity or break down barriers?
– What skills are needed to keep up with the changing times during this Transformative Age?
– How do you create your personal brand and continue to empower your people?
The theme, Innovation and You, will highlight the ongoing change in the financial services industry, discuss how businesses can stay current and continue to empower our people to evolve in this ever-changing, diverse environment and integration of Gen Z and Millennials into the workforce.
Participants: 125 men and women from EY and EY clients in the Mid-Atlantic, such as Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, Ginnie Mae, CSS, Capital One, The Carlyle Group, Vanguard, Navient, T Rowe Price and others at mid-management to executive levels.
EY About D&I
At EY, Diversity & Inclusiveness (D&I) is about leveraging differences to achieve better business results. The Mid-Atlantic D&I Council remains committed to supporting the firm’s goal of a diverse and inclusive workplace that benefits from the wide variety of perspectives and experiences of EY personnel and EY clients. Women in Technology (WinIT) is a core D&I arm that is focused on empowering and advancing talented women to build and progress their careers in technology.